George Steitz received two warrants for land, one in 1737 and another in 1741, on which he laid out lots for a village. He began to sell these lots about 1750. His community was first known as Steitztown, but later became known as Lebanon. Accordingly, by 1772, there were 220 dwellings in the village.
The lots were sold by perches and amounted to two perches wide (approx. 33 feet) by six perches deep (approx. 99 feet). A stipulation required that a house must be built within 18 months of the purchase date and that each house have a stone or brick chimney. The earliest lots were located between 7th and 12th streets on the east and west and the Quittapahilla Creek and Walnut Street on the north and south. The Chestnut Street Log House is a fine example of these early dwellings.
The house is rectangular in shape and consists of a cellar, main floor and a loft.
The cellar is a half cellar under the first floor with an earthen floor and paled ceiling. It is entered by an exterior door.
The first floor is composed of three rooms – a plan prevalent in Pennsylvania German architecture. The fireplace rises in the general center of the house, with the hearth facing the kitchen. The kitchen is lighted by means of a small six-light casement window.
The room leading from the kitchen is the stübe or living room. Two windows are extant on the north wall. Trim was applied throughout this room. The surviving evidence indicating application in the 18th century. The stübe was heated by means of a five-plate German jamb stove.
The remaining room on the first floor was the kammer or bedroom. One window lighted this room.
1110 Chestnut St, Lebanon, Pennsylvania